Tuesday, December 8, 2009

{Any suggestions or HeLp?!}

I get frustrated when i try to sit down and teach Tanner his letters and colors. I need a new way of teaching him so that he can understand it and so that i won't get frustrated. When i teach him his colors this is how it goes.....If i ask him "where is the Red train?" He can point to it. He does just fine with that. BUT when i say "what color IS the train?" He cannot tell me. Instead, he will find something else that is the same color as the red train and point to it and say "it kind of looks like this one". I can't, for the life of me, get him to tell me the color of anything. I almost get the sense that he doesn't understand what i am asking him...? I mean, i will POINT to Elmo and say "Elmo is red." Then right after that i ask him "What color is Elmo?" He can't tell me. So, i don't know what to do and was hoping some of you would have some suggestions on how i can teach him so that he will understand?!?! I am not a good teacher. :)

4 comments:

Bridi said...

I have a minor in early childhood education and my suggestion is to not sweat it so much. People couldn't believe that I was a teacher and that I wasn't teaching Britannia the ABC's when she was 2-3. Now she's in first grade and reading above level. They don't have to learn it early to learn it. If they do learn it early that's great, but in the long run they don't have any advatage over other kids. It's just like walking, they all do it at different times and it doesn't affect how well they walk. He just turned 3 right, his main job right now is to play. So it's okay that he's not interested in colors, numbers, shapes, letters, etc. right now. Those things will come in time. Does this help or am I just annoying you with my theories?

Ashlee and Shane said...

hahaha...no, it helps and makes total sense. I guess part of it is that Gavin was always right on schedule or a little before.....i try to remember that every child is different, but it can be hard sometimes. :) but, if you say it isn't a big deal then i feel like i can relax a little, so thank you! :)

Lauri said...

I completely agree with Bridi! Another thing to consider is if it's something you have to force right now, it will become something he hates and then it'll become more frustrating for you both. You know what I mean? One thing that might work is getting a game that encourages numbers, lettters, counting, colors and have him play with you and Gavin. Learning from big brother might encourage him!! :) I can send you an email with a few that we love to use for preschool. I wouldn't stress about it too much!

The JL McGregor Family said...

I know how frustrating it can be. It was the same way with Madison... Logan learned his colors, shapes, and letters when before he was 2. I tried making her cards to play with, turning it into a game, puzzles... She just wasn't interested. The funny thing is that she went to a little joy school with some other little girls, and the other moms said she knew her colors and shapes... she'd tell them, but not me. Finally, in the last few months (she's 4) she's started to want to learn her letters and write her name. I think Bridi is right--each child grows at a different rate. Logan knew more academically than Madison at age 4, but she is ahead of him socially. I think it all evens out, and Tanner will decide on his own time when he's ready.