Monday, August 22, 2011

{Our First Sunday in Okinawa, tattoos, swimming, and a water spout.}

The post under this one has pictures for you to view if that's what you are searching for by getting on here! :)

Our First Sunday here...
Sorry, another post. :) I had to mention about our experience in our new ward...oops...I mean, Branch. We went in, to what used to be a convenience store, now turned into a church. :) It's a two story building. It was sooooooo weird sitting down for Sacrament meeting with sooooo little people there. Our ward in Wichita Falls was LARGE. It was big enough that they could have split it into two wards. To go from that to what we went to on sunday was a shocker. It will be quite an adjustment. There were probably about 12 other families. So weird. In Relief Society there were only about a total of 12 women. Sunday school was interesting. There aren't many people in there at all. There were lots of silent moments. The teacher would ask someone to read a certain verse and it took about 20 seconds before someone would raise their hand to do it. I raised my hand three times to read because i didn't like the silent moments. And if i were the teacher i really wouldn't like it. :) Now is the waiting game to see, not just WHAT calling we will each get, BUT HOW MANY callings we will get. I have become friends pretty quickly with the relief society president. She is very sweet and nice. She told me she has had three callings at one time....and she has had NUMEROUS different callings. So, it will be interesting to see where they put shane and I. :) haha! The only bad thing is that we might have been infected with hand, foot mouth illness. One child had it in nursery the sunday before we got there. No other child showed symptoms of having it. They disinfected everything in that room. So, we felt like he could go in. After church, the relief society president told me that one of the parent's put their child into nursery who has a fever and sore throat. She said those are the first signs of the illness. Why in the world that parent brought their child to church with a fever, i KNOW NOT. I don't get some people. Anyway!! I am hoping it wasn't that. Wishful thinking, huh?!!? :)

Tattoos
I practice writing hiragana. I am trying to teach myself how to speak japanese. It will be a slow process, no doubt. The boys really like the japanese characters. So, they picked out two characters from the hiragana chart that they really liked and had me "tattoo" it on their back. I drew it on dark and thick so it looked legit. They loved it. I put them to bed and gavin didn't want to lay on his back b/c he didn't want it to get rubbed off.

Swimming
There are two large pools here on base, along with a splash area at each pool. They are free. Right now we are close enough to walk. I took the boys to the pool today, where we stayed for almost three hours. They REALLY love swimming. We are signing them up for fall swim lessons in a few days. This will be their second swim lesson of the month. Today gavin was able to touch the bottom in the shallow end, but tanner isn't tall enough, so he couldn't. So i really had to hold tanner and jaydon a lot. Tanner would hold onto the side and swim back and forth , from me to the wall. Jaydon, with no floaty device, would jump into the pool to me. He has absolutely NO FEAR of the water. He just thinks there will always be someone there when he jumps in. So many times he would jump in when i wasn't ready or looking. I noticed him flying through the air into the water out of the corner of my eye. I had to quickly grab him. He goes in head under and everything. He loves it to death. He probably drinks a gallon of water everytime we swim. He is just crazy....he is so different than his other brothers at this age. I am glad he loves the water so much, but man he makes me nervous. I have no doubt that he would jump in the water if nobody was paying attention or watching. That freaks me out. SOOOO, he will be doing his second swim lesson this summer. We need to get him swimming so i don't have to feel so scared. Until then, my eye is ON HIM when we get around water. They have slides at the pool as well. The boys can't wait for daddy to come to the pool so that they can go down the slide. I can't catch them at the bottom when its just me and those three boys. We will all drown. :)

Cool sightings...
I looked out the window today when we were all sitting around talking. AND i spotted a water spout way off in the distance!!!!! it was so cool to see when for real!!!! I took pictures of it. I wish i could have seen it closer to actually see it spinning. It was really really cool.

Run..
I went for a run this morning. It had been awhile b/c of the move and everything that's been happening. It is hot in the mornings. There is no escaping the humidity. So, you just sweat a lot. I went up this hill by some housing and as soon as i reached the top i had a beautiful view of the crystal blue ocean. It was so beautiful. I was in heaven at that moment. And i was thinking to myself, what i still continue to think almost every hour.... "i can't believe i am really here!" It all doesn't feel real. It's so surreal. I truly love it here.

The Mud Factory...
The boys and I met up with my friend and her kids at the Mud Factory. It's a room where you can buy a BIG bag of ceramic clay. You make what you want. You leave it there to let it dry for about 2 weeks and then they fire it for you. Then you can go and paint it. It's really awesome. Such a cool activity to do...not only for your kids, but you can do it as well. And they have pottery wheels for adults. I would so love to make some ceramic piece. I remember taking a ceramics class in highschool and i loved it. I am amazed as i keep finding out all the things there are to do here. It's truly awesome.

No comments: