Monday, August 29, 2011

{Roller slides and Produce}

I had a FUN ADVENTURE THIS MORNING....

I went with a couple of my friends this morning off base to a japanese fresh produce market. It was fun. They had so many things i have never really seen before. They had samples of certain foods laying out. One was these tiny little FISH the size of my pinky finger. They had toothpicks in them already so you can pick it up to try it. Tanner saw it and wanted to try it. I was cringing that he actually wanted to try it. But i said "go for it. do you like it?" He really liked it. Then he handed me ONE and asked me to try it. Oh dear!!! But i am in a new place and i told myself i would really try to dive into this new culture, so i made myself try it. First of all, i don't like fish. The only fish i will eat is tilapia. AND trying these teenie little fish was an awful thought. I tried the tail end of one of em. It was't terrible, but it did taste like fish. eewww. The japanese like to put those on top of their salads and use them like we use croutons for our salads. Anyway, they also had little raw pieces of fish that were cut up. Gross. Didn't try that. Here is what we did buy at the market....

Dragonfruit
Tangerines....i have never seen green tangerines. These look like lemons to me. So it will be fun to try these. My friend said they are sooooo good.
And this little dessert? I still am not exactly sure WHAT it is. It's squooshy. It looked yummy and felt squishy so tanner wanted it. My friend said its made of rice flour??? I have no doubt it is. It has a gummy texture and tastes just like rice. It's interesting. Apparently the mangos here are amazing. AND expensive. 4 of them cost 30 bucks. They are shipped here from some other tropical island around here and are organic. So that makes it expensive.
A few days ago we went to one of the roller slides that i have been hearing so much about. There is no slide like this in the states. It has rollers on it, so you have to sit on something, such as cardboard or a sled to go down it. OTHERWISE your bum will be on FIRE from all the friction. It is long and fun.

You have to climb 100 steps to get to the top. That wasn't fun, especially when you are carrying jaydon. :) It's a good workout though. They sell these plastic trays here that you can buy to use for going on these slides. I think it would work a lot better and faster than cardboard. At the very end the slide has a good drop, so you go pretty fast. BUT before that you have to kind of push yourself a long. Gavin and jaydon loved it. Tanner not so much. We are excited to try a different slide....one where you don't have to push yourself along. They have them all over the place here.
Labor day weekend is coming up. Shane gets off friday and monday. Monday b/c its a holiday, but friday b/c it's family day. They do that when there is a holiday on monday ....they give them friday's off as well. Sooooo nice. I am so excited for this weekend b/c of course we are going to explore more. :)

3 comments:

Grams said...

Thank for the pics and the update. It looks fun. Grams

Lauri said...

Wow, Tanner! Brave boy! :) We all know I would have been gagging!

So what does dragon fruit taste like? It looks really cool!

Those slides sound really fun! I'm excited to see where you guys go over the holiday weekend!

Graham and Dean are flying to Idaho this weekend to go white water rafting. It reminded me of when we went in Durango! And got VERY sunburnt, at least I did. :) Mom, Joc and I are going to stay at the Radisson this weekend where they have a huge indoor waterpark. I'm excited and I KNOW Jocelyn is too! :) So, I'll just take one of your pics of a beach in Japan and pretend I'm there! Miss you guys. (You will get tired of hearing "we miss you" over the next three years...TOUGH!)

Mandi Kay said...

That slide is awesome!!!!! I saw a guy today that reminded me sooooooo much of Shane!!!! Miss you all