Thursday, September 29, 2011

{Earthquake}

I felt the earth shake last night for the FIRST time ever. It was such a creepy feeling. I am sure a lot of you have experienced some type of earthquake, whether tiny or big. I have never felt one, until last night.

Jaydon was awake making noises at about 3 a.m. which awakened me. I got up and went to the bathroom. As i start heading back to bed i decide to stand by my door and listen carefully to what he was doing. As i stood there listening, i suddenly started to hear something coming. Something was coming and i wasn't quite sure what the heck it was. It was like it was coming from a distance and started getting louder and louder. I started freaking out inside. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was coming. At first i thought it was a huge wind gust. Earthquake didn't cross my mind at first b/c i have never experienced or felt even a little one. The door i was standing by started rattling back and forth and the house started rumbling. I realized that couldn't be the wind. So, as soon as my whole house started rattling that's when i realized it was a small earthquake. I didn't feel MYSELF move, but shane felt the bed shake, which in turn shook him. It was such a weird sound. Like i guess i have always imagined. The fact that i could hear the earth moving was such a creepy fascinating feeling. Shane thought it sounded like "bubbling".

It lasted about 5-7 seconds. It was a magnitude 5.0 earthquake. According to the scale a 5.0 is a moderate earthquake. It was quick, but i now know what one is like. I can't say i would want to experience anything more than that. I laid in bed for about 30 minutes after that just replaying that whole situation because it was startling. I must say, if that were to happen during the day i probably never would have noticed it. It's so noisy around this house that it would just blend in with the noise here. I would probably think it's just the boys jumping around upstairs or something. :)

No comments: