Friday, September 7, 2012

{Recent Happenings}

Here is Tanner and Gavins first day of school together. :) Gavin wasn't excited to start school, but Tanner was thrilled to start! Jaydon wore his backpack that day to feel like he was part of the group. :)
 Tanner really was excited, but the pictures might say otherwise. He isn't one to show is excitement, like Gavin would. :) He really is beaming inside and i saw all his excitement that morning. He asked me about every ten minutes "Is it time to go yet?" "Why is it taking so long?"
 Here he is standing in line waiting to go to his class. That's his sweet teacher standing in front of him with the pink pants on. Mrs. Purifoy. Sad i didn't get her face! ha!


On the second day of dropping them off i asked tanner if he wanted me to walk him to his class again and he said "No, i can do it myself."  So, now i drop off Tanner and Gavin at the front and they walk back to their classes together. He feels like a big boy now and he is REALLY enjoying school. He came home yesterday all excited about having gone to the library that day. Like i said, he doesn't show a lot of emotion, but i can tell when he is excited. He pulled his book out calmly and said "Look what book i got in the library today." I said "How exciting! did you have fun today?!" And he nodded yes, and then this HUGE smile slowly came to his face. I can tell when he is excited by his smile. :) It's so cute. His eyes light up too.

Gavin wasn't excited to start school. He and Tanner are very different. haha! Gavin doesn't like to work, just wants to play play play. Even on the first day of his homework he was upset about having to do it. I realized i was in for a long year of school if that was going to be a regular occurence. 

I decided to reward him with his choosing IF he can do his homework for FOUR weeks without any crying or whining. AND he has to get it done each night. I am not going to nag him about it. It's in his hands.  He chose LEGOS as his reward and is very excited about earning them.  AND his consequence for not doing his homework and whining about it is NO legos AND no recess time at school. If i don't turn in his homework/behavior chart that day then his teacher doesn't let him go to recess.  So, the benefits of DOING his homework without whining ABSOLUTELY outweighs the consequences of NOT doing it.

SOME RECENT UPDATES AROUND HERE...JUST RANDOM STUFF

1. Our favorite games to play together as a family right now are SCUM and CHICKEN FOOT. Jaydon is the only one who can't really do it, but i let him play on my team and he gets to help me. :) We have tons of fun playing these games together.

2. The boys started Soccer. There was a lack of coaches this year because there weren't enough volunteers. So, Tanner's team has like 12 kids on it. They only play 3 kids on the field. Definitely is going to be an interesting season for him. Gavin's team is fine with normal amount of kids on his team. He is already shining when they split up and play against each other. He scored all the points on his team for the first practice game. He was very excited about it. He later said to me "I forgot how much i like soccer! I really like it!" We were too late signing Gavin up for Football this season. We will sign him up next season. It's full on football. Crazy! Anyway, soccer is every tuesday and thursday night. Tanner's practice is 5-6 and gavin's is 6-7. They were going to have tanner practice on monday and wednesday's, but we weren't going to have that. I will NOT have every night of my week filled with activities.

3. Jaydon is quite a pill. I think he is handling BOTH his brothers being gone OK. I have to keep him busy though. He asks me often "When can we go get my brothers?" He has been more emotional than i have ever seen him as well. We are in the store and he did something that was not okay, so i told him not to do it again and to behave. WELLLLLL, he just started bursting into tears. It caught me by surprise. I told him "It's okay. just please don't do it again."  Well, he all of a suddent starts spouting out "Your mean to me! I want daddy. You hurt my feelings!"  He kept saying that over and over while he was crying, in the store. I wasn't sure how to take it. My boys haven't ever done that to me , especially in the middle of the store. I just let him cry and tried to ignore him. haha! Poor thing. The other night he got really upset that we wanted to read out of his scriptures. Because i wanted to use his scriptures that night he started crying and crying. I tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't. Finally when i was able to get him i asked him WHY he was so upset. He just said "because". I said "but why were you so upset that i wanted to read in your scriptures?" His lip curled under and he started balling his eyes out. That completely caught me by surprise AGAIN. I don't know where it's coming from. It reminded me of a girl that has been holding in her tears and just decided to let it all out. It was the saddest thing ive ever seen.  It took him awhile after that to calm down and get to sleep. He kept yelling for me, well...screaming for me whenever i left the room.  Eventually i calmed him down. I just feel sad for him because i am not sure what's going on. I think part of it is because his brothers aren't here anymore. I am not sure.

4.Shane is working hard at work. He is getting experience in with specialties, and this will help him figure out if he would like to specialize or not. I think it's a deciding factor in whether we want to stay in the military for awhile after this or not much longer. We will see.

5.I am good. The first day i started running again since my last injury is the first day i injured myself again. Running isn't in the cards for me, i guess. I always get some kind of injury. I am going to try and figure out something else to do. :) It's really hard on the body anyway, so maybe this is a good thing. :) I am very into eating healthy though.That kind of is a fun hobby for me since i can't run. I am definitely having to learn a new way of cooking, which at first was scary for me because i felt like i didn't know how to cook this healthy, but i am doing it. AND really like it. :) I made my first very healthy meal last night, and guess what?!?! They ALL liked it! I was soooo excited! It was very encouraging too!

That's about all thats going on here right now. Life is going good, and its flying by way too fast! We really are enjoying the friendships we are making and have made. We are surrounded by wonderful friends, and it feels like family and home here. We are grateful for that because it could be so much more difficult being away if we didn't have such a great support system here.




No comments: