Sunday, January 22, 2012

{Sore Throat update}

If you don't know by now...Tanner has had 7 sore throats within the past 3 months. It started in October. Along with his sore throat he will always get a fever, which is usually 102 average. One time this only lasted 24 hours and went away. One time he was vomitting along with the other symptoms and it dragged out for days. Another time his fever reached a HIGH number of about 105, which made me NERVOUS. I had to put ice packs on him b/c he was like a furnace. It dropped quickly after that. I have been into the doctor 3 times for it and to the ER once. The other 3 times it happened i just wait it out b/c it goes away on its own.

He has received antibiotics from these doctors on three different visits. Each time they do a throat culture and it comes back NEGATIVE, but they still give me antibiotics. It keeps coming back even with antibiotics. I am not going to give him the antibiotics anymore b/c it obviously isn't working. The last time i went into the doctor i told him the throat swabs have been negative and the antibiotics don't work. He told me he wanted to do another throat swab and give him a high dose of antibiotics. I called this morning to see what the results were for the throat culture. NEGATIVE. Of course. So, i am taking him back to the doctor on Friday(he isn't sick anymore) and i am not leaving until they refer me to an ENT. I am tired of them giving me antibiotics before they even KNOW what is wrong and i am tired of them wanting to continue this on when we all know strep isn't the problem, but they keep treating it like its strep.

It's extremely frustrating. I just feel bad for Tanner. The poor kid has been dealing with this too much and he is SUCH a TROOPER about it. He hardly whines when he is sick. He quietly goes to the bathroom to puke and comes back out like nothing happened. But you can tell he feels terrible. I am just sad for him. And angry that these docs keep giving medicine and ignoring what's actually happening. This last doctor i took him to , i said to him "what if the culture is negative again?" He said, "then when he gets sick again come back in and tell them it has happened again and we will try to take further action." Oh thanks. They will probably do what all the other docs have been doing...give him antibiotics and blow it off. I don't want to WAIT til he gets sick AGAIN for the 8th time. I want it resolved...which is why i am going in on Friday and not leaving til they set me up with the ENT. Here, i can't see an ENT without my primary doctors REFERRAL. So, i am at their mercy. :)

Am i overreacting?! I really don't think i am. If anything, i think most parents would have done what i am about to do AFTER the 3rd or 4th time. :) I will post what happens after i see the ENT.

From what i have heard from other people, and what i feel like is going to happen, is that his tonsils will be getting removed shortly in the near future. Then hopefully he will feel like a new boy.

No comments: