Saturday, July 24, 2010

{My Baby Sister}

About 2 weeks after we arrived here in Texas i got a phone call in the middle of the night and it said on my I.D. that it was my mom calling. Calling at 1 a.m. I instantly knew something was wrong.
A few hours earlier i had talked to my sister and she told me she had a bad migraine.
Well, when i answered the phone my mom says to me that they are in the ER with Holly. My heart started racing. I was just thinking, "please no. don't let anything bad happen to her." She told me that they did a cat scan and found that she has bleeding in her brain. No way, i thought. No way. How could that be? So, she tells me that she is being flighted up to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, which is 45 minutes from the Austin hospital she was at. I thought, holy cow, this has got to be serious. But they still didn't know why she had bleeding in her brain and that she would call me later as soon as they know more. We didn't have the internet yet. My instant thing to do would be get on the internet and look up reasons why her brain would be bleeding, but i couldn't. I couldn't sleep that night b/c i was so WORRIED.
Well, the next day the bleeding was still happening and they had to try and stop it so they tried something called coiling. That didn't work. They did an angiogram too. Turns out that she had an cerebral aneurysm. I found out that 2% of the population under the age of 35 get an aneurysm. CrAzY! What are the chances she would get it?!
Then i get a phone call from them saying that she has a 50% chance of survival. Alot of people who get these either come out of it with a neurological impairment or die. I was terrified, naturally. I wanted so bad to be there. Then they call me and tell me that she is going in for brain sugery. That's when i started looking into plane tickets. I left the next morning and arrived right after they finished the surgery. She looked great. It went really well. They cut open her head from the top center all the way down behind her ear and also in front of it. They didn't have to shave her head. They only shaved a little right where they made the first initial incision i guess. She was doped up a lot of the time i was there, but the last day i was there she was talking pretty well to us. And they all kept telling her how LUCKY she is. Most people don't come out of it so well like she has and a lot of people don't survive.
Eight days later she was able to go home. Get this....She had just moved home to Minnesota about 5 days before all this happened. She was in cleveland where we lived, but decided it was no longer fun there! :) haha. So, she moved home. She is so lucky that this happened while with my parents. She said that if she had been in Ohio she wouldn't have gone into the ER and would have just dealt with it and b/c of that she probably would have been dead. But b/c she was in Minnesota, my parents took her into the ER AND she had the #1 neurosurgical department in the world working on her! No joke. What are the chances. I think someone was watching over her, if you ask me. :)
I am soooooo glad she is doing better and recovering so incredibly well. She scared all of us. I love her so much and cannot wait to hang out with her again b/c i miss her terribly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! That is just awful and so scary... I cannot even imagine. So happy to hear that she is doing well and yes, I do believe I can see Heavenly Fathers hand in all of this. :) How is Texas?? Wish you were in Houston and I could see you. How far are you from us?

Monica and Stephen said...

Oh my! That is so scary. What a blessing that it was caught in time. Your family is in my prayers.