Monday, July 16, 2012

{Finding the joy in it}

So, its no surprise to any of you that my photography the past couple of years isn't like it used to be. Basically, i think i got started in photography from the beginning because of the extra money i could earn AND because i really did enjoy it. I was so excited about pursuing this talent that i could actually earn money at. If it was something i didn't think i could enjoy then i wouldn't have done it in the first place.
My mom and dad have a very old SLR camera when i was in college. I remember i used to play with it a lot and the pictures turned out beautiful, i thought. The old SLR was awesome.

Anyway,I didn't give myself much time for learning and play before i started getting paid for it.  I charged 35 bucks for a bunch of pictures that i would give to them on a CD. We were going through school and i found it as a good opportunity for me, and a great thing for friends who wanted to get cheap pictures done. I can't say if they all liked the pictures i took. I just don't know. But i sure hope they did.  And to hire a photographer these days can be expensive. REALLY expensive. AND the thing is, I could never go to a department store photographer after being a photographer. I am repulsed by the pictures they take and how much money they get for it. Sorry, hope that didn't offend anyone. :)

So, after we moved to Texas i remember just quietly telling certain people that i do photography. Nobody there seemed interested in getting pictures done, which was so strange to me. :)  That's when my fire for photography seemed to die. Before i knew it, i was forgetting to take my camera everywhere we went.  The idea of getting paid for photography again didn't sound desirous to me in the least bit.  I still feel the same way here.

I feel like part of it is because THE JOB part of it is what takes away the enjoyment of photography for me. Not only that, but i also feel like i have so much to learn still. I feel like i want to KNOW exactly what i am doing before i jump back into it. I know what i  know, but i want to progress. I don't want to stay where i have always been with it. SO, i won't start it again until i feel pretty comfortable with everything it takes to be a good photographer. I also want to FIND THE JOY in it that i used to have.  i am going to work on that first.

SO, i am going to start taking pictures again, but just for ENJOYMENT. :) And just of my family, AND MAYBE the occasional friend that i want to practice on.  I am starting to learn for myself what photography i really enjoy and would love to do and which types i can do without.  I really really love creative, abstract looking pictures taken with a wide angle lense.  Love it. I like motion blur photography and the really cool Tilt-shift photography. That's where you take a scene and can somehow make it look like a miniature scene. It's so unique and cool. So, i am going to try to get my creative juices flowing to be able to come up with abstract and unique scenes. Honestly, i don't know how to do much of any of it. I don't even have a wide angle lense. :) I would love to get one, and it would be easy to have my dear husband buy one for me IF i were going to get paid to do my photography, but since i am NOT it will be harder to convince him to buy me one. :) I will have to see what i can do. ;)
But for now, here are a few pictures of just a few things we have been up to around here lately.  I did a little something to a few of the pictures that i really like. :)  It's the mood and feel of the picture that i really enjoy.

Reading and reading...
 Playing outside...
 Wrestling....  Yes, that's Jaydon on the bottom get dog piled. He is tough.
 Watching Movies....
 Jaydon letting me take pictures of him. He loves when i take pictures and is willing to do whatever. :) i love it! So, i thought i would make him look angelic in this one! haha!

And playing their DS's.....  Gavin's face is killing me here. I caught him making a new face. This is quite a different face that i haven't really ever seen before. I could not stop laughing at it. hahaha!

No comments: