Saturday, August 18, 2007

Summer runs

I ran in my second race of the summer. In July i ran in a 10K and that was pretty tough. I don't know that i will do one of those again for awhile. I did beat my husband in that one and that made me feel pretty dang good! :) Anyway, i ran in a 5K this morning and it went good. I ran it in 24 minutes and 40 seconds. It was a run to support research for pancreatic cancer. While i was there i read up on a few things about the cancer because i actually had no awareness of it. It is a very scary cancer and the bad thing about it is there are no early warning signs and by the time a person is diagnosed it is way too late for a cure. It is the #1 in fatality of all cancers. There are no screening tests for this cancer and there are no biomarkers that can diagnose it in its early stages, so they are in desperate need of a blood test that can catch it before it is too late.
Shane and the boys came and supported me. They watched me take off and he took a picture of me about half way through the run! pretty! I plan on running in another 5K on Labor Day in support of keeping smiles on kids faces. It is called "Miles for Smiles". That is all i know. I am not for sure what exactly i am supporting, but if it is for kids then i am in! :) I love getting the shirts they give the runner's. I can always use a new t-shirt! :)
There is a great sense of accomplishment i get from running in these races. Plus, it feels really great supporting the cause for these races. I hope i can always run in races. Gavin is already wanting to follow along. He said, "I want to run a race momma", and then he put my ear piece on his head from my MP3 player. It was cute. I think it would be a lot of fun to run in races with him when he gets a little older. Plus, i think it is good for kids to see their parents being physically active so that they can learn the importance of being healthy.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Woohoo Ash! My little runner! :) I love that you guys have a blog! It's fun to read what's going on and see new pics! Great idea! Maybe we'll have to do one of these. Hmm. :)