Monday, April 6, 2009

{General Conference}

I LoVE General Conference. I loVe the feeling it invites into our lives and OuR home. It brings a new motivation into my life. It makes me want to be BeTTer at everything that i do in life. One of my FAVORITE speakers that i ALWAYS look forward to listening to is Elder Richard G. Scott. He speaks to my HeArT everytime, more than any other speaker. He knows how to speak in a way that i feel like he is talking to me. He, to me, is an amazing speaker. All of the men who speak are good speakers and touch me in some way, but He just knows how to speak in a way that penetrates my HeArT everytime. I LoVe him.

I really enjoyed Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk too. "It is hard to imagine a scenario when it would not be worthwhile to consider and learn from the experience of others." "Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it." "There are great lessons to be learned from the past. You ought to learn them so that you don't exhaust your spiritual strength repeating past mistakes and bad choices." "Time and again we see the cycle of righteousness followed by wickedness." "Righteousness followed by posperity, followed by material comforts, followed by greed, followed by pride, followed by wickedness, and a collapse of morality, until the people brought calamities upon themselves, sufficient to stir them up to humility, repentance and change."

I also really like President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk. It was very enlightening for me. He spoke of truth's in a way that made sense...simple sense.

Elder Kevin W. Pearson's talk really hit a place in my heart as well. He talked about Faith. This is one thing that i realize the importance of and feel so strongly about. I feel like my faith has grown over the past few years in ways that i never experienced before. I feel so strongly about the need for faith and the importance of teaching my kids about faith...true faith. "If we desire more faith we must be more obedient." "Faith is a gift from God and one possessed of it can receive enormous spiritual power." "Fear and faith cannot co-exist." "We do have a choice. We get what we focus on consistently." I liked his 6 destructive D's. 1. Doubt(it comes from a lack of confidence in one's self or abilities. It is a negative emotion. Doubt leads to 2. discouragement which leads to 3.distraction which leads to a 4.lack of diligence. If not reversed this path leads to 5.disobedience which undermines the very basis of faith.) This ultimately leads to 6. Disbelief- having chosen to harden one's heart(the refusal to believe). "Challenging times require greater spiritual power."

One more that i really enjoyed was the talk given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. He talked about Christ's atonement and Sacrifice in a way that i never thought about before. He spoke of Christ's sacrifice for us in a way that touched my heart in a different way than before. He spoke of it in a way where we could each feel and realize what our Savior went through for each of us. He gave me a new growing love for my Savior. Our Savior's example is one that can give each of us strength to get through trials, to give us hope and faith, to help us feel loved. Not only does our Savior know exactly what we go through, but he expereienced it ALL for us. He experienced it all without anger or complaint. He was betrayed by loved one's, by friends....he was nothing but loving and was crucified for it. He gives me the strength to feel like i can keep going when i go through hard times. I really love this talk.

I really enjoyed all of the talks, but these are just a few that hit me in one way or another. And of course, our Beloved Prophet's talk at the end of General Conference. His words of advice, warning, and comfort always touch us in a way to where we know the importance of what he is saying. I am so grateful for General Conference and for the leaders of our church.

3 comments:

Lauri said...

I agree! Conference was amazing! I loved so many of the talks, but Elder Holland's talk was one of my favorites this time. I had never thought of the last minutes of Christ's life like that before and my love and admiration for our Savior grew from that. I more fully understand why we can receive comfort from Him during our most difficult times. What a wonderful thing to reflect upon!

Every year when conference time rolls around, I always think back to the first time I watched conference. At your house, you, me and Holly wrapped up in blankets on the floor. Trying to be reverent and not giggle too much. :) That was so long ago! Even though I probably wasn't the best listener then, I remember feeling the Spirit so strongly and understanding the importance of having a living Prophet. Love ya tons, Ash! (P.S. I forgive you if you don't remember that! hahaha. Just teasing you!!)

D.Suth. said...

I loved Elder Holland's talk as well- that one blew me away! I never realized before how alone Christ felt, that He knew others would go away, but He counted on His Father to be there b/c He had kept the commandments. And then He wasn't there. I never had thought about how Christ had to go through the lack of the Father's presence to feel what the worst of men would feel - the lack of light, and how awful that would feel, especially for someone who was so perfect!
I love conf. time too and I think I want to make a general conference tradition of making cinnamon rolls, someone else did that and I think that sounds like a good one! Maybe in the spring, and then pumpkin donuts in the fall. :)

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

I love this, thanks for posting your thought. It has helped me to answer a problem that I came across today....and for some reason what I listen to over the weekend, hadn't come to me...So thanks!!!