Saturday, March 27, 2010

{The true meaning of Easter}

Last night we had a primary activity at church. We had about 40 kids show up. The primary presidency and I spent hours at the church yesterday morning getting everything ready....oh, and my visiting teachers came over and helped us! What a huge help they were! After we finished setting up, we left and had to be back to the church 2 hours later. Let's just say that from 8:30 a.m. up until 8:30 p.m. i only spent 2 hours at home.

The kids showed up at 6:30 and we did one of those advent calendar type of things where you have 12 easter eggs and you fill them with objects that represent the important happenings in the Savior's last week of his life. So, we had 6 rooms that the kids rotated through and in each one we told a certain part of the Savior's life during that last week. As i was teaching i quickly thought to myself "oh my goodness, these kids are sooooo hyper....they aren't getting anything out of this!" They just weren't interested in listening.

Well, in the last room, we ALL went in there together to watch a slideshow of different pictures of Jesus. The song "I Know my Savior Loves Me"(a new song they have been learning) was playing as they watched the slideshow. Before we turned it on they were all still being a bit Rowdy! haha! So, when the music and slideshow came on...the next thing i know, all the kids start singing along with the music MORE reverently and MORE sweetly than i have EVER heard them sing it in primary! The spirit entered that room and filled it and it was soooo special! I was reminded of how precious and sweet children are, not only to me, but to our Savior and how much he loves them! Afterwards i talked to my friend and she said she saw all the girls with their arms around each other, swaying back and forth, while singing the song. It was such a special moment that i will always remember. :) That made it all worth it! I quickly forgot about how rowdy they were and quickly realized that they are getting something out of it. It was neat.

Easter is next weekend and i am excited...not only am i excited to watch my boys get their easter baskets and decorate their eggs, but i am also excited b/c it is General Conference, again. I love general conference. It is going to be a fun relaxing weekend.

3 comments:

Bridi said...

My girls loved this activity. They have been going through their eggs and telling each other and David what each one of them was all about, since they got home last night. You all really did a great job and I feel like my girls learned alot from the activity, thanks!

Grams said...

What a sweet activity day. I loved reading about it. It sounds like it was a lot of work but when you can look back and know that the children felt the spirit and love for one another, it is worth it. Love Grams

Lauren said...

that is so sweet! thanks for all your hard work!! My kids had a great time time and they really did learn a lot!