Monday, January 24, 2011

{Sprint TRI excitement}

I am sorry, but i can't contain myself! I am so flippin excited about doing a sprint triathlon. I have been looking into dates and locations and as of right now, the one that will work best is April 16th. It's probably a little over an hour drive away from here. There is also one i would like to do in Austin on May 30th. We will see about that one. There was one on my birthday, but i can't find it again. I am sure i will find it b/c i really would LOVE to be in it on my 30th birthday! It would take my mind off of turning 30! :)

Anyway! If you don't know much about Sprint Triathlons let me tell you a little about them. They all vary a little bit in how far you swim, bike and run. The one i want to do is what the typical Sprint triathlon distances are. It's a 1/2 mile swim, which is 16 laps in an olympic size pool. Otherwise, it's 32 laps in a smaller pool. That isn't too bad if you know how to swim. I love swimming. :) And i miss it.

The bike ride portion is 12 miles. I am really excited about it b/c i am going to start looking into getting a bike on wednesday. We bought mountain bikes a few years back, so i want to sell mine and buy a good racing bike. Luckily, i live in cycling country. And my visiting teacher is a cycling instructor at the college and her hubby is a professional cyclist. She is going to help me find a bike that i need for a steal of a deal. Shane wants in on the action too. :) He wants to do duathlons with me. He isn't quite to the point of wanting to do a tri. I need to teach him good swimming techniques before he gets into that. :)

The running portion is a 5K, which is 3.1 miles. I wish i could run long distances, but my body can't handle it. My knees ache really bad and so do my hips after running about 5 miles. I guess running is too rough on my body. But i can handle a 5K. :) One of the reasons i stopped running a lot was b/c of that. That's when i realized i need to start cycling more, and swimming. :)

I have been wanting to do a Sprint Tri for years. I can't wait to get the chance to do hopefully a few this year. :) No, i will never do a full on triathlon. Like i said, i couldn't handle running that long. My knees might break if i did. :) I will just enjoy getting faster and faster at the sprint Triathlons. :) It's a perfect fit for me. :)

The only thing i wish....i wish i had a few people to do these races with.

3 comments:

Blake Jones said...

I wish we lived closer, I would totally do them with you. If we happen to both be in Idaho next summer, or we live closer next year we'll have to do them together. The one we did in Idaho was CRAZY! The bike ride was soooo hard. I could definitely use some swim technique advice too. I'm sure Shane could do the swim. My brother did the swim and all he knows how to do is sink:) I think some of the girls passed him and they started 5 minutes later. He finished though!

The JL McGregor Family said...

Very exciting! I hope you find someone to train with and do the triathlon with!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! WIsh we lived closer and cound train and do one together... I would love that!