Thursday, October 27, 2011

{MORE random thoughts}

I am glad i have a blog. It's a lot more fun for me to post on my blog instead of writing in a journal. So, here are more random thoughts...

I really like being 30 years old. Weird. Who knew. Since the day i turned 30 i feel like i hit the best years of my life. I feel like my 30's are gonna be good. Hopefully i don't jinx myself by saying that. I agree with what my wise dear friend from Ohio (who now lives in alaska) said....She said you are finally starting to figure things out when you are in your 30's. You are done with having baby's(well, some people are), you don't have the newborn, you don't have tiny kids to chase and worry about, you aren't dealing with the stresses of being newly married,. There are lots of firsts that happen in your 20's that you have to adjust to and learn from...basically, this is the time i get to sit back and enjoy all the results of what was created in my 20's. I am starting to feel that. I am starting to enjoy my kids soooooooo much more than i ever have. I enjoyed my kids before, ON AND OFF. :) While it still can be hard mainly b/c of Jaydon's craziness....i just feel like life is finally calming down. I so enjoy my husband finally being out of school and having a job. I enjoy lots of things right now. I am enjoying not being pregnant or having a newborn. It's just a good time, i think. AND i feel like this is also a great time to master self-improvement. Well, not master it....but i feel like i am figuring things out in a way i didn't before. It's so weird. I don't want to get into that b/c i could go on for a long time. I am enjoying getting older BUT at the same time i am not b/c i don't want to get old. :) One of the good things about aging is that you grow and progress in many different areas the longer you live. One of those being....COOKING. :) haha!

First of all, i used to NOT like cooking. yuck. AND i always got made fun of for my cooking b/c i always ruined it or somehow messed it up or BURNT it. One time i made lasagna for my brother at college. It was dry and crispy....crispy like the turkey on CHRISTMAS VACATION. haha! Another time in college i made something, but i don't remember what it was. WELL, i BURNT it to a crisp. I just remember grabbing it and setting it outside. It was BLACK AS BLACK could be. I completely destroyed it. I still have issues with cooking...such as trying to get my butter soft. I put it in the microwave for a short amount of time, like ten seconds. I CANNOT SEEM TO GET MY BUTTER SOFT WITHOUT MELTING IT. what is the matter with me?! I either accidentally leave it in too long and when i open the microwave it's completely MELTED all over the place. OR if i need to completely melt the butter then i put it in a bowl. I still screw it up. It starts melting and then i hear a LOUD pop. I open the microwave and it splattered all over the place! What the heck? I put saran wrap on it and it ends up overflowing and still getting everywhere. So frustrating for something that seems so simple.
Another incident....i can't cook gravy. I didn't grow up eating gravy. Shane did. He likes it and i can do without it. I just prefer butter, salt and pepper. Tastes better than gravy, i think. :) I have made gravy a hanful of times(for shane), but still can't remember how i made it after each time i made it. Gravy is not something i can do. ANOTHER simple thing to make that i just can't do. :)
So, how did i go from DISLIKING cooking and always messing it up TO enjoying cooking and making wonderful meals? Okay, i am not trying to brag here. I give all credit to the people that came up with the recipes in the first place. BUT i can actually MAKE the meal and make it GOOD now. People who USED TO make fun of my cooking NOW like my cooking. You know who you are! :) My husband and kids loves my cooking. AND i am learning how to add things to my recipes to make it taste just a bit better.
Last night i made TEXAS ROADHOUSE rolls. It was my first time. They could've looked better. BUT i think the next time they will look better and taste better. They tasted VERY CLOSE to the rolls. I couldn't make the honey butter exactly right b/c i didn't have HONEY!!! I think that would've made it better. Next time i will have honey for my honey butter. And my rolls will be done exact and then shane will be wanting those things every week. Who need roadhouse anymore?!!? haha! They did taste similar enough that shane said "WOW! That bite tasted just like it!" I guess every bite tasted different to him.
I now love trying new recipes. Cooking is fun and exciting sometimes. I can be OCD in my kitchen. I am not an OCD person, but with that i am. If shane comes into the kitchen and tries to help me cook or even THINKS about telling me to do something DIFFERENT....eewwww, i scoot him out of there QUICKLY. If he wants to cook for me, he can....BUT i can't be in there with him while he is doing it b/c i just cannot WATCH. It will make me crazy. But it's once in a blue moon that he wants to cook for me. :)

No comments: