Sunday, October 16, 2011

{Sunday Funday}

hahaha...ok. Well, yesterday was the day they announced my new calling in our branch. I was called as 2nd counselor in the Relief Society. When they set me apart yesterday he told me that i would be over the visiting teaching program to make sure all the women are taken care of. Honestly, i am excited about this calling. Before this, i was the 2nd counselor in the Young Women's presidency and before that i was the 2nd counselor in the Primary presidency. 2nd counselor seems to be where i belong. haha

When we were in cleveland i was called into the primary presidency our second year there. I remembered telling shane about a week before they called me into that that being in the primary is the last calling i would ever want. HAHA! I have learned to stop saying what callings i don't want. I also remembered being slightly disappointed because i felt like the relief society was where i wanted to be. I wanted to have the connection with the women and wanted to be a part of the women. I did actually enjoy my calling in the primary. I loved the kids and i really enjoyed the women i worked with. I learned that primary was a good calling. :) Anyway, i was disappointed b/c i wanted to be in relief society and felt that is where i belonged. I remember getting an impression that i was going to work my way up to the relief society and my time would come. I remember a distinct impression that primary was going to teach me the basics of teaching and to understand how a presidency works. And then i would eventually work up to YW's where i will learn more, and then to relief society. And that by the time i get to relief society i would be ready to fulfill the calling that my Father in Heaven needed me to fulfill.

It ends up that it turned out exactly that way. I obviously had a feeling i would be in Relief Society and on our way here. it sort of stuck out in my mind. When we were up in mainland Japan waiting for seven hours in that tiny two room military airport the Relief Society president(i didn't know that she was at the time) of our branch we are in now ended up coming up to us asking us if we were the Jenks family. She heard about us through our sponsors, whom we still had not seen yet. Out of all the people packed in that tiny airport she picked us out and guessed right. haha....We talked a moment and then we talked a bit on the airport and then we talked while we were waiting for our luggage. I felt liked i belonged b/c i just felt comfortable with her. Anyway, i now get to serve with her and two other great women. I am excited to be with the women and to learn how to serve better and to create wonderful connections and bonds with the women and to create great friendships, which in fact has already started. I feel like we belong here. This is where we are supposed to be.

Shane and I gave talks yesterday at church. I think it went really well. I enjoyed preparing my talk and i enjoyed speaking. I know, i am an odd one. I admit it. Who says they LIKE preparing a talk and actually LIKES to speak?!?! HAHA! I DO get NERVOUS and i DO have a bit of turmoil as i prepare the talk(b/c i am trying to be patient as i rely on the spirit to tell me), but at the same time i really enjoy it. I enjoy relying on the spirit to tell me what i should speak on. I enjoy feeling the spirit as i prepare and i also enjoy learning about my topics. AND i enjoy being PREPARED for my talks so that my audience will hopefully feel the spirit that i felt as i was preparing. And i so enjoy the wonderful confirmation of the spirit telling me that what i just wrote was exactly what needs to be said. That makes it a lot easier to get up and talk. Shane did wonderful. He is a natural born speaker, as someone told him later that day. I don't know how he does it. He can get up there speak straight to the audience without looking down and just connect with them. We spoke on "standing as Witnesses."

Later that night me and a few friends went to the general womens relief society broadcast. It was really good. I actually already listened to it, but it was a good chance to watch them speak to me. I connect a lot better with people when i see their eyes. So, it's always a different feeling for me when i just listen to the audio versus watching them while they speak. Is that so weird? I do the same thing with shane. When we talk in bed at night i have to have the lights on while we talk and have him facing me b/c that's the way i connect best in conversation. I have to see his eyes. SO if he wants to talk with the lights off, i insist on the lights being on. Poor shane. I know it gets pretty annoying for him, but he is so patient with me. :) I am not an OCD person, but i can be when it comes to that and when it comes to my kitchen. :) The eyes are the window to your souls. I like eye contact.

Anyway, directly after the broadcast there was a surprise fireside for the youth. Well, my friends and i hung around for it b/c David Archuletta was there. He actually was here saturday night singing for the octoberfest for the military. He showed up at the Awase branch for church on sunday and it surprised everyone. While there he offered to put on a fireside for the youth. He sang two songs for us and told us his story of why he went onto american idol and what the Lord taught him through it and bore his testimony to us. He is just absolutely adorable. It was wonderful to be able to hear his story and hear his testimony through his singing. He is such a good example, even after gaining stardom(is that how you spell it?)

Anyway, our sunday yesterday was full of spiritual stuff all day long. I felt spiritually fed and refreshed and motivated.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

HOLY COW! :) That is exciting! You will be a wonderful counselor in the RS and I think it'll be lots of fun getting to know everyone! Miss you tons. Oh, and you are CRAZY! I get SOOOO nervous giving talks in sacrament! Almost to the point of it being a phobia. hahaha! I bet you guys did an awesome job!