Friday, October 1, 2010

{Mom, did you know?}

Today i was looking through the personal progress book for our Young Women. When you open it there is a picture of Christ and in front of his picture is a transparent picture of the temple....so when the pictures are put together you can see both Christ and the temple together. You know what i am talking about? Of course you do. Anyway, Tanner looked at that and then looked at me, and said to me in a way that he thought i didn't know, but very firmly and gently, "Mom, did you know the Temple is the House of God?" I looked at him and said, "Yes, you are so smart. I am so glad you know that. You will get to go there when you turn 12 years old." He then said to me in a way like i was silly for telling him b/c he already knew, "I already know that mom." I just said, "Oh, okay. Good." I didn't know how to respond. He just stared at me and smiled with confidence. It was very sweet and moving. :)
Maybe it's just coincidence, but all three of my boys when they were babies did something really cool that i like to not think of as just coincidence. When Gavin was about 3 months old. I put a picture of Jesus in front of him and told him it was Jesus and he got a huge smile on his face. It brought me to tears to see that. With Tanner i did the same thing. I didn't do it early in life with Jaydon, but a few weeks ago at church i had one of those small pocket sized pictures of Jesus. I pulled it out and showed Jaydon and i said, "This is Jesus"....he got a big ole smile, quickly grabbed the picture from me and gave it a big kiss. It was the sweetest moment. I won't forget it and i haven't forgotten my other boys looking at his picture and smiling at such a tiny age. I love it. I feel like i have so much i can learn from my boys, spiritually.

Oh, and i just want to share something with other mom's because i think it applies to all of us mom's. I can be hard on myself at the end of the day...."i should have done this with the boys, i could have done better at this, i could have been a bit nicer about that...." and so on. You mom's know how it goes. Too much of that can get to me. I was on the lds.org and watching a message or something. I don't remember what i was watching. But i suddenly got the distinct impression and a whispering "you are too hard on yourself." I knew someone up there was telling me something. I am too hard on myself. It's hard not to be with such an important job. I now tell myself I am a good mom. I try so hard everyday to be the best i can be and that is good enough. :) After that experience i have been a better mom. Interesting how that works. That feeling motivated me to be better. Sometimes we just need someone to tell us that we are doing good and when it comes from the Spirit it REALLY HELPS. It's motivating. :) So to all you mom's. You are a good mom. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

2 comments:

Bridi said...

Beautifully put, thanks for sharing!

Lauri said...

You ARE a fabulous Mom, Ash. Those boys are very lucky and they adore you!
Tell Tanner we love him. That story is so sweet. It's such a wonderful feeling when our kids KNOW. :)