Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our three day weekend...

We went to Hocking Hills with some friends for the three day weekend. We rented this cabin for one night. It was awesome. There was a good sized hill next to the driveway that we went sledding down. The kids loved it. They got on Shane's back and went flying down the hill. After that we went inside for a nice cup of hot chocolate. :) The cabin was set back in the woods and we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. Thank goodness for our 4-wheel drive because we wouldn't have been able to make it up there without it. Shane and Tanner fell asleep on the couch together.
The kids loved playing downstairs. They watched The Land Before Time probably 5 times and ran around saying "Sharp tooth!"....i guess Sharp Tooth was trying to get them. It was funny. :)
We had a pool tournament. I love playing pool. We played cards, but i don't have pics of that. Cards are one of my favorites too.
Here we all are in the Hot Tub. Everyone got in twice. Once in the evening and once the next morning. The kids loved the Hot Tub. It was especially fun sitting in it when it is snowing on you and tons of snow is on the ground. It reminded me of growing up when my family lived in Oklahoma. We had a hot tub in our backyard and we would get in it in the winter time a lot. We would jump out and roll in the snow and jump back in the hot tub. I am not sure if any of these guys did that though! :) I didn't get in b/c i am pregnant. I missed out on that one. :)



Eating yummy taco soup for dinner.

We had a lot of fun and plan to go back again this summer so that we can explore Hocking Hills and do some hiking and go through the caves(after the baby comes, of course). The cabin was awesome. It was a true log cabin. I loved it. I could handle living in one. :)
I was thinking that i really hope our kids remember this stuff. I hope they remember the fun memories we are building with them. We try to do fun things together when we can. I feel lucky that we are able to do them and i know my kids are lucky to experience it. They just don't know it yet. :)
Being TOGETHER as a family and doing things TOGETHER as a family is what matters. I am reminded quite often of what really matters. And it is always that i am lucky to have a wonderful husband, wonderful adorable kids, and lucky that we are happy TOGETHER and love spending time together. If our kids weren't with us to experience new things it just wouldn't be the same. Most of the joy of doing new and fun things comes from watching their little faces and watching how much fun they have. Of course it is nice to get away on a vacation once a year just shane and i. :) But our kids are what matter. Family is what matters. Family is what life is about. If i had no one else in the world, as long as i had my family i would still be happy. They make my happiness. They make me who i am.
(Now, this doesn't mean that i don't get irritated with my kids or frustrated or need a break. Trust me. There are plenty of those times. But what i want my kids to know is that i have discovered for myself what really matters to ME. I haven't always felt it in this way. There is a difference in knowing it and actually feeling it. I know it and now i feel it.)






4 comments:

Mandi Kay said...

Looks like a total blast SASHLEE!!!! :) How fun is that....making memories. Thanks for your sweet thoughts. I just think you're the best. :) Love you all.

Thompson's said...

Sorry we missed out! Looks like you all had a great time. Let us know when you all plan to go again.

Amanda said...

what a fun little get away! The cabin looks so nice and relaxing!

Lauri said...

Ohhh, I am jealous!! :) Looks like you guys had a blast!!! That cabin is gorgeous!!! There was a cabin in VA that we rented for our anniversary, right on the river! I miss it so much!!!!