Thursday, January 29, 2009

{Shoveling and pregnant?}

Okay, first i must say, if you are pregnant don't try this. What i did i shouldn't have done, but i did it anyway. For some reason i take great pride in doing something i shouldn't be able to do and that most pregnant women wouldn't do. I like to prove that i CAN do something that most people think i couldn't do. For some reason i like being separated from the crowd, different, and unique. (Some might just call this stupidity rather than an attempt at being different) Now, having said that, i think that was partially what drove me to shovel our ENTIRE driveway yesterday. I think i was trying to prove something to myself really. There was AT LEAST a foot of snow. But the front of our driveway had to of been 2 feet at least b/c of the snowplow men. I intended to go out and shovel just the back patio area so that our rental car, and Shane, wouldn't be surrounded by snow. But after i did the back part i got to thinking "there is no way shane will even make it into our driveway if i don't shovel the front of the driveway." SO, i took on that task. It was actually quite difficult. Then i thought of the mailman. So, i shoveled where the mailman would be walking. Then i thought to myself, "aaahhhh, might as well do the entire thing. I want to surprise Shane." So, my back was aching, my muscles in my arms were aching, but i just ignored it and kept going. Towards the end i became numb to the pain in my back and arms. For some reason, i like a good challenge. :) And the times that i pick to take on a good challenge are really weird. So, i shoveled the entire driveway. We don't have a short driveway either. It is a longer one. I must say, after i finished i was so proud of myself for doing that. I knew the pain would be coming soon though. Shane came home shortly after and when he walked in he could see my red cheeks and messy hair and knew that it wasn't the neighbor who did it, it was me, his pregnant wife, that labored for a little over an hour shoveling the driveway. He was surprised and concerned and felt bad. It's okay though. It actually made me feel good to do it even though i could hardly walk all last night. Yeah, it hurt to walk. This morning my neck muscles and back muscles still hurt. I can't bend over. I am okay though....the pain will go away soon. :)
After i shoveled the snowplow men came by and plowed snow all back onto the front of our driveway....eeeewwww....that was frustrating. That snow up in the front is hard to shovel too. It is heavier. It is like a mixture of ice and snow. I went back to the front and shoveled again. Luckily it wasn't too bad though.

I thought about something while shoveling.... i like to watch PRIMETIME in the evenings. They have a series they call "What would you do?" When they do those series they have actors do things that just aren't right....For example:one scenario they have an actor slip some powder into into his dates drink when she was in the bathroom. AND he makes sure to do it when someone sitting next to him is watching this. They try to see what people would do if they encountered a situation like this and caught someone doing something totally wrong. Would they say something or just sit back and keep quiet? Good thing is, majority of people in this world are good people. Most people say something to the different situations that are presented before them. Anyway, i was shoveling that extremely deep snow at the front of my driveway. I am pregnant. Tons of Ford trucks with their hooked on snowplow drove by.... I thought, "What if it was more obvious that i was pregnant. Would one of these men offered to plow our driveway?"

3 comments:

The JL McGregor Family said...

Yah, I did the shoveling and raking last year when I was pregnant because Joe was super busy at work and I knew if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done. You have a better attitude than I did, though. I was sore and mad at the world when I was done.

H.Cook said...

Ashlee!! I know a girl who was pregnant and shoveled and she went into labor the next day!! I hope Shane gave you a back rub when you were all done. I can't believe you picked yesterday of all days to shovel! Biggest snowfall I've ever seen.But... you go girl! :)

The Hiller Family said...

Don't you ever, EVER do that again girl! Seriously, call someone in the ward and see if they have a boy who would be willing to earn $10!! Even if you can't afford it... your body can!
You're a silly girl!
Be our neighbor and we'll just send our snowblower over!! My husband would do it for you!!