Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Micromanagement...

I found another good thought in my book Eat Pray Love. This is for the micromanagers of the world.
"I have searched frantically for contentment for so many years in so many ways, and all these acquisitions and accomplishments - they run you down in the end. Life, if you keep chasing it so hard, will drive you to death. Time - when pursued like a bandit - will behave like one; always remaining one county or one room ahead of you, changing its name and hair color to elude you, slipping out the back door of the motel just as you're banging through the lobby with your newest search warrant, leaving only a burning cigarette in the ashtray to taunt you. At some point you have to stop because it won't. You have to admit you can't catch it. That you're not supposed to catch it. At some point, as Richard keeps telling me, you gotta let go and sit still and allow contentment to come to you". Here comes the part for those who feel they need to be in control of every situation....
"Letting go, of course, is a scary enterprise for those of us who believe that the world revolves only because it has a handle on the top of it which we personally turn, and that if we were to drop this handle for even a moment, well - that would be the end of the universe. But try dropping it. This is the message i'm getting. Sit quietly for now and cease your relentless participation. Watch what happens. The birds do not crash dead out of the sky in mid-flight, after all. The trees do not wither and die, the rivers do not run red with blood. Life continues to go on. Even the Italian post office will keep limping along, doing its own thing without you - why are you so sure that your micromanagement of every moment in this whole world is so essential? Why don't you let it be?
I hear this argument and it appeals to me. I believe in it, intellectually. I really do. But then i wonder - with all my restless yearning, with all my hyped-up fervor and with this stupidly hungry nature of mine - what should i do with my energy, instead?
That answer arrives too:
Look for God. Look for God like a man with his head on fire looks for water.

Earlier this author quotes Walt Whitman, which has to do with what i just typed up. "stand apart from the pulling and hauling...amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary...both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it all."

I am sure i will have more to post from my book later. :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Ok, so what is this book about? I have seen you post about it. Where did you buy it? sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for uplifting us all Ashley.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm so glad that you're still really liking this book! That's a passage that I marked in my copy as well since that is SO me. I am a control freak and I have to learn some how to let go and just chill out.

Love Walt Whitman--Leaves of Grass is one of my favorites (especially Song of Myself).