Thursday, October 16, 2008

{Stitches and the Debate}

Yesterday while i was getting dinner ready Gavin started crying this terrified cry upstairs. I ran to see what was happening and he was standing at the top of the stairs with blood just gushing down his arm. It was all over his shirt, the floor, his arm. I was surprised by how much blood there was actually. I took him to the bathroom, looked at it quickly and could tell it would need stitches. It was quite a cut. I don't think i have ever cut myself like that. It was right under his pinky finger. We didn't have gauze so i wrapped it up with toilet paper and put pressure on it and waited for Shane to get home, which was just a few minutes from then. We took him to the Hillcrest Pediatric ER. They ended up telling us that he cut an artery. When the Doctor looked at it it started squirting blood on him. It was so weird. AND it wouldn't stop bleeding unless we kept pressure on it. Even after 30 minutes of pressure, once they took that pressure off it started dripping blood. Sorry for those of you that can't handle blood stuff. I am just describing it the way it is. :) Anyway,they ended up giving him VERSED, which makes a person very drowsy and makes it so they won't really remember what happened later on. If you have ever gone into surgery, they usually give this to you through an I.V. before the surgery. It is a weird feeling. Well, it did make Gavin's eyes VERY droopy, BUT it made it so that he couldn't stop laughing!!! He was laughing and laughing. It was HILARIOUS. All the nurses wanted to be in there to watch b/c they thought it was so funny. Tanner was feeding off of Gavin and so he kept laughing as well. It was about an hour of laughing. Much better than crying!!! :) It was an eventful evening. He ended up getting 5 stitches. He woke up this morning crying b/c he wanted the bandage off. They wrapped it up for him. Anyway, he wasn't happy this morning, but he is doing fine now. :) I must add: I LOVE hospitals. There is something so comforting for me when i walk into one. I think part of it is b/c my dad is a Doctor. Everytime he came home he always had that hospital smell(NO, it is not a death smell.). I love that smell. It's a clean, sterile smell. I would also go in to visit my dad at the hospital and sometimes i would go into surgery with him to watch procedures. So, maybe that is a huge part of it. AND everytime i walk into one i realize how bad i want to be a nurse or even a DOCTOR!! Maybe one day when the kids are in school! :) Anyway!!! Onto other things...

And as far as the debate last night. McCain totally sealed the deal for me. He won. I have been wishywashy about who to vote for. I only watched the last 45 minutes, but in those 45 minutes i realized what an extreme liberal Obama is. How could i vote for him?!!? I am very much PROlife. People say, "what about girls who get raped?!" Well, what about the morning after pill? I think the morning after pill would solve that problem. Once the heart starts beating it is human and alive. EEeewww, then when Obama said he would "look into" protecting the babies from being aborted in the last trimester. SICKENING is all i can say. That alone changed my mind about him quickly. There shouldn't be a question. It shouldn't be allowed. That is horrible. Then he said,"we have to consider the mothers health." Whatever. Someone needs to have a voice for that baby and that is McCain. Anyway, can you tell i am passionate about that? McCain's plan just made more sense to me last night than ever before. He explained things the way i needed to hear it and he was definitely on the offense. He made Obama have to explain a lot of things and i didn't like Obama's explanations. McCain it is. It makes perfect sense. Now, we don't know if either of there plans for healthcare or the economy will ultimately work, but i am willing to take my chances on McCain's side before i would on Obama's side. AND what about putting Government in more control as Obama wants! Who wants that?! Seriously. The GOVERNMENT??! Like McCain said, he wants us to be able to decide and make the decision and not have the Government decide for us. Makes sense to me.
UPDATE:SORRY ALL...I realize that i forgot to put HOW he cut his finger!! :) sheesh. He was throwing the ball around upstairs and it hit the light fixture on the ceiling...it broke into pieces and came falling down and he says that one of the pieces sliced his finger on the way down.

9 comments:

Lauri said...

Poor Gav!!!! He is a trooper, huh!! Did you figure out how he cut his finger?
I totally agree with what you said about Obama and abortion! This topic gets me going!!!! One quote I read from him said "we need to protect the mothers rights AND THE ABORTIONIST RIGHTS!" ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?! That was suppost to justify killing the babies who actually survived the abortion!! He is just sick!
Granted, McCain is kind of weak when it comes to the economy BUT I cannot vote for someone who is Pro choice. So McCain it is for me too. Obama is WAY too liberal. Not to mention he thinks we can just sit down with terrorists and negotiate with them. SURE, that'll work great. Sheesh.

The JL McGregor Family said...

What I don't get about Obama is that he doesn't seem to realize that abortion is not about women's rights. It is about the moral issue of killing being right or wrong.

I am also wondering if you figured out how Gavin cut his finger. I hate going to the hospital.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

This was my first debate and I only watched the first 30 minutes or so while I was at the gym. I am leaning in the same direction as you are, but sometimes I wish we could have a do-over. I'm concerned about Obama and the type of president that he would make for a number of reasons, but I am also concerned about McCain's health and age. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Blake Jones said...

i THOUGHT i WAS CRAZY ABOUT THE WAY i FEEL ABOUT HOSPITALS AND DOCTORS. i ALSO LOVE THEM AND WANT TO BE A NURSE SOMEDAY. iT'S NICE TO HEAR SOMEONE ELSE SAY THAT TOO.

Skye said...

There was something that Obama said that impressed me though. During the abortion discussion, he said that both pro-choice and pro-life people can come together on the idea that we need to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies because "sexuality is sacred" and we can't have young people engaged in "cavalier [sexual] activity." I'd never heard a national-level candidate speak so candidly about sex being a sacred act. It surprised me.

Amanda said...

I'm with you Ash. Partial birth abortion or any type of abortion is horrible. How can I trust someone to make descisions for our country when they believe in something that horrible?

I'm sorry about Gavins finger!!!! That is too funny about the medication they gave him. I'm glad he was laughing!

Lauren said...

poor gavin!! I can't figure out if he went to school yesterday or not. Avery said he wasn't there because he hurt his finger, but then she started saying that they were tracing something and Gavin had to do it with his other hand because of his finger. Did he go to school yesterday? :)

H.Cook said...

awww... poor gavin. Good for you for handling all that blood like a pro. I would have freaked out. I hate hospitals! And blood-- aaa!!

Sherrie said...

I am so glad he's okay, that is so scary! :) Whenever I see one of my kids bleeding I have to tell myself to stay calm and figure out where the blood is coming from because I automatically go into frenzy mode! :) I'm glad that the light fixture didn't do any worse damage to him though, that is a blessing. :)