Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WANTED: Those with mixing and matching skills...

We are redoing our boys room. They now share a bedroom, and the room across from their room is the toy room. We want to make it really cute and fun for them. We recently organized the toy room and it is a cute toy room, but we really want to do something fun for their room. We just let them pick out there own bed comforters. Gavin picked Transformers and Tanner picked Cars. Now click here to see the color of their carpet. http://www.buyaurapaint.com/sw-6509.html... it's a blue color. Their bedspreads have red, blue, yellow, black, and grey in them. What color should we paint the walls? Their is moulding in the middle of the wall. So we could paint just the part under the moulding or we could use two different colors. The ceiling doesn't have corners like your family room would...instead it rounds off so there isn't a crease to stop us from painting the ceiling. Does that make sense? You see that alot in attics here and in upstairs bedrooms. So how would we paint that!? There beds and dressers are a dark wood color. Should we paint those or leave them that color? I just can't decide what to do!!! It is a hard room to figure out!
Here is what i have thought...i thought of painting their dressers a country red color...you know the kind that isn't bright red...its like a dull red. I thought that would look good on the dressers and bed, but then what color would i paint the walls? Maybe paint the wall a dull yellow color? Would i paint just the lower section of the wall the yellow and leave the upper part white?! Please, i know there are a lot of creative minds that read this, let me know what you think!! :) I have also thought of sky blue or grey for the walls, but then what color would i paint the dressers? Maybe the grey walls would look good with the country red dressers and bed?!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Go to www.hgtv.com and look under decorating. They have TONS of ideas on kids rooms. I like primary colors for boys, or blue and green... actually I like a lot of different things. Sometimes they suggest choosing a theme or doing something that the kids can grow into. But seriously you should check out the site. It can be overwhelming though!

Lauren said...

how fun! I'll get my juices flowing and see what I can come up with!

Lauri said...

Hmmmm...I think whatever you paint the walls, keep it light so it doesn't make the room dark. I love the idea of the country red for the dressers and actually the beds too! That would be cute! You should post pics of their bedspreads. That would help me come up with ideas! :) I get a lot of ideas from Pottery Barn kids! Check out the website. So cute!

MetroParks said...

You should totally check out the boys rooms on Pottery Barns kids. There are a couple that use blue, with an earth-tone red accessories (I love, love, love the red!) and then the walls are a light brown or deep beige color with white trim. I love white trim and I think it keeps the room from getting too dark. In the junior varsity room they have even painted the ceiling which sounds like it might work in their room. I would paint above and below and make the molding white. Mostly just have fun.

Amanda said...

My sister is really good at decorating! I'll tell her to check your blog.

How fun!

The JL McGregor Family said...

ok, so I'm not that great at coming up with ideas, but our ceilings are rounded like that through our whole house--upstairs a little differently than downstairs because of the different wall heights. Anyway, the last owners did a great job of separating, and they did it a few different ways in each of the rooms. So if you are interested, come check out our ceiling/walls.

Skye said...

Our ceilings have that same curve to them, and ours have a thin white crown moulding on them, so it devides the wall and ceiling. I think it looks pretty good, feel free to come check it out if you want.

Dave and Loralee said...

I would say to NOT paint the furniture if it is decent wood furniture. I'd only mess with it if it's old and pretty dinged up. And I'm not sure if that country red would go with the bedspreads b/c they seem to be pretty bright colored. I agree with the others-check out pottery barn kids rooms and get ideas. Also look into the emotions and feelings certain colors tend to make people feel-for example, I think yellow makes people hyper, blues and greens (softer) calm, etc. Then choose a color that you want them to feel :) A few people have done a great job of making that separation on those rounded ceilings-it just requires a great taping job! You usually do the darker color on the bottom of the chair rail, but some people change it up. I'll bet you can do some fun things with vinyl cut-outs and pictures.
SO FUN!