Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference Weekend...

I know there are some of you that read my blog that are uncomfortable with spirituality. Well, that is what i am talking about during this post sooo i just wanted to let you know so you can stop reading if you don't want to hear it. :)
I felt the Spirit of this General Conference so strongly. I felt inspired and motivated. I felt like almost every talk had something i needed to hear. My favorite talk was by the Prophet in the third session. I still feel touched and filled with the Spirit today even after a busy morning! :)

Things learned during conference...
1. One thing Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said is that when we experience trials , hardships, here is what we can do...
Laugh. Instead of getting angry, laugh. When we can laugh we create cherished memories. Example....We went to California with Shane's family during our first year of marriage. We were on the highway and took a wrong turn, so we pulled off at the next exit, got back on the highway, sure we wouldn't miss the ramp we had to take again. Well, we missed it again. We all started cracking up. It was hilarious. We couldn't stop laughing and even right now i am laughing about it. Laughing about it made life more enjoyable for ourselves and those around us. It became a cherished memory.
2. The Lord sends Angels to watch over and protect us...Heavenly Angels and Mortal Angels. More than anything they are family and friends, and maybe those we don't know that have come into our lives as angels to bear us up in hardships.
3. Jesus Christ is the way. The truth. He is the way to happiness and fulfillness. He is the Bread of Life. He is the light of the world. He is the Savior of the World. He is our one true constant.
4. We live in perilous times. We are faced with many hardships, trials, worries, stress, anxiety. We cannot let this stuff get the better of us. We need to remain positive and optimistic. We need to stay close to the Lord. We need to have faith and hope. If we fall we need to get back up and learn from our mistakes and hard times, and become stronger b/c of them.
5. We are so blessed to have been born in this country of opportunity. We are so blessed to be members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
6. Follow the Savior's example. When we feel like we are being mocked or harrassed or questioned b/c of what we believe in, respond as the Savior would. He is our greatest example of how we should respond. Silence, meekness, and forgiveness is not weakness. That is faith, strength and courage. Be compassionate and tolerant. In this case, we stand with the Savior.
7. My favorite was when the Prophet spoke in the third session. He talked about CHANGE. Nothing is as constant as change. We must deal with change throughout our lives. Good or bad. Changes take place subtely and slowly. Here and now is our one and only chance at mortal life. Don't let those most important things pass you by. Find joy in the journey now. Don't dwell on the past, make most of today. We should not let stress get in the way of what is most important-family. We should always let family know that we love them. Our regrets will come if such things are omitted. Always express thanks. It is so easy to take others for granted. "The bitterest tears left over graves are words left unsaid and deeds left undone." One day each of us will run out of tomorrow's. Love one another. We need to find the meaning and wonder of life while we are living it. Our realization of what is most important in life goes hand in hand with our gratitude for our blessings. Don't focus on what is missing from our lives. Focus on what you have. We can experience heaven on earth when we do this. Whatever God has blessed you with, take it!

These are just a few things i learned. I loveD this General Conference. I feel so grateful in my heart for the Church, my Savior, and my family. Those three things are my life. I don't know what i would do without them. They each fill my heart and make me whole. I hope you all enjoyed Conference as much as i did. I am sure you did. I love our Prophet. I love my Savior. I am so grateful that i was born into this Church. I wish General Conference could be every month. I love it and always look soooo forward to it. I love the messages, i love the peace and calm it brings for the whole weekend, i love hearing the talks by these wonderful men, and i love the spirit that is felt. It is the best feeling. It motivates me, strengthens me, inspires me, fills me with love and with the spirit, and makes me try better everyday at everything i do.

6 comments:

Mandi Kay said...

I was especially grateful for this Conference as well. It was awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!! You're such a sweet person I'm blessed to have you as my sister!

D.Suth. said...

I thought this conferece was especially good as well.
I really loved the messages of hope, the Lord will take care of us, and to NOT sew seeds of disunity.

By Divine Design said...

I felt this conference was especially personal. Maybe I just listened to all 4 sessions without falling asleep. :)

So tell me, what are the things you absolutely can't live without with your babies?

Mandi Kay said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was a great conference. I just loved the feeling of hope and that I can do it. I really can make it. Anyway I love you so much. Thank you for taking such good care of your little family. Love Gram

Grams said...

Mandi didn't post that last note. I did. Gram

Lauri said...

Every year when it's conference time, it brings back fun memories of watching conference at your house growing up!!!! We would lay on the floor with blankets and TRY to stay awake! I just thought it was fun b/c I loved being with your family and it was a great excuse!! hehe. I also think about taking the missionary discussions at your house! Your testimony was the beginning of my testimony. You have always been a HUGE strength to me and I'm grateful for YOU! :) Of course now, I always stay awake and am SO grateful for the Spirit I feel! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I loved reading them! Love you tons!