Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another run to the ER...(warning: lots of info.)

Last night we decided to call our pediatrician because Tanner seemed to be wheezing a bit too loud. They were closed so we couldn't bring him into their office, so the doctor wanted to hear Tanner breath over the phone. She then told me that he is breathing too fast and that we need to go to Urgent Care(just like the ER, but faster) to get him checked. We went in and while i am waiting one of my friend's from church walked in with her son. It was nice seeing her b/c she is so nice and brings a smile to my face. Anyway, the doctor checked his breathing and they must have thought it was worth rushing to figure out his problem b/c right after they checked him we were in and out quickly. Then again, the hospitals here are exceptional so it could just be that. They hooked him up to a breathing machine, which he did not like at all. After he was done with that treatment he completely cleared up. He was still breathing a bit fast, BUT he sounded 100 times better. They did a chest x-ray on him and found that he had a vital infection that couldn't be helped with anti-biotics...Baby bronchitis. They are making him take steroids for the next 3 days, which helps with inflammation. They also gave us a breathing machine. With as many times as we have been to the ER, and just to the hospital since Tanner was born i would say that i have learned a lot more about medical stuff, aside from what i have learned from my dad since he is a doctor. I am not saying that i know a lot, but i have always wanted to be a doctor so being exposed to the medical field all my life has been interesting. I went with my dad to work quite a few times in highschool. I would get dressed in scrubs, put the mask on, everything, and then i was able to go into surgery with him and watch different procedures... c-section(unfortunately this lady was one of those mom's that did drugs the whole pregnancy so she was zonked out while they were doing the c-section b/c she was high on something. sad.), breast implants, liposuction, back surgery, someone getting their tonsils out, epidurals(definitely doesn't hurt as bad as it looks) being done, and not only that, but i have had my average share of hospital stays. Anyway, it was fun watching my dad do the aneasthesia. He was so good at it and so good with his patients. For awhile, i wanted to be a nurse anesthetist, but i could never do it b/c i am not designed to understand any science beyond basic biology. It is too difficult for me. I am more of the "arts" type of girl. Anyway, by far the grossest surgery i ever watched were the breast implants being put in. I could handle watching surgery just fine, and i was proud of myself for that. I thought i was tough and strong, but as i was watching this one i noticed myself about to faint. I started seeing white dots all over and started feeling a bit tingly all over and a bit dizzy. My dad noticed and had the nurse take me out of the surgery room so that i could sit down for a few minutes. It truly was a sick and brutal surgery. uck. Well, i just blabbed a lot. I never wrote this down in my journal so now at least i have it.

7 comments:

Lauri said...

My heart sunk when I saw Tanner's pic and the title to this blog! I am glad he is okay! Poor thing!

D.Suth. said...

I like your new header. Very cute.

I am impressed you could stick around for your dad's procedures- I don't think I could handle that.

Dave and Loralee said...

poor little guy-bree had bronchiolitis last year in february, when she was 6 weeks old. we were at rainbow babies for a week, but like you said, these hospitals here are AWESOME. It feels good knowing they are so capable here, but it's still hard to watch your sweet baby struggling to breathe! I'm glad he's doing a little better. Call if you need help with anything! I think all our kids out here have this junk, whatever it is...everyone's getting it!

Amanda said...

Poor Tanner! I hope he gets better!

I worked in an ER and I LOVED IT! It was always full of drama and blood and stuff like that! I loved it!

H.Cook said...

I just want to give Tanner a big hug! Are you both doing ok now?

Lauren said...

Hey Ashlee. Can I pick your brain for a minute? I just saw the picture of Gavin on your other blog. What settings did use (AV? ISO? F/Stop?)? Is it all natural light? Did you do anything to Gavin's eyes in photoshop? The lighting and exposure looks so good. Teach me teach me please!!

Bridi said...

I am so sorry. What is it with Cleveland? Both of my babies that were born here got that same thing. If you need anything please let me know. I would be happy to Gavin day or night if something else happens. I'm just right here. I hope he gets bettter soon!