Friday, September 12, 2008

The Strange and Entertaining of Cleveland...

Okay, so we have seen deer across our street every once in awhile. Sometimes we see them prancing down the sidewalk just like another jogger on the street. Weird. Anyway, it is getting just too weird. Yesterday there was a deer in our backyard. We were standing 20 feet from him and he didn't even care!!! He looked at us, scratched his neck, leaned down to eat, and did it all over again. We moved and he didn't care. I grew up in Oklahoma, and there if a deer see's you from a mile away he is running from you. If an okie walks in his backyard and see's a deer he will shoot it and cook it for dinner. My dad and brother's went hunting for deer a lot. They were hard to catch in the WILD. I never in my life have seen deer who are not afraid of people! We saw a family of 4 deer about 3 times yesterday feeding on the grass across our street. I think they live in our little forest right next to our house. Then across the street there is a little creek and some more foresty area. I left the house and they were right there by the road eating the grass, or whatever is in the grass that they eat. Anyway, i had to stop for them so that they could slowly take their time crossing the street like they own it, just like the people of cleveland do. Deer are no longer the animal you see in the wild, they have now become a tame city animal not afraid to live among humans, taking strolls and jogs down the sidewalk, & jaywalking with stride and confidence.

Holly and I were going for a ride down Mayfield. In the lane next to us was this guy that had legitimate drum sticks. 'Drums' as in a band. He was blasting his music and confidentally beating the crud out of his steering wheel with his REAL drum sticks to the beat of the music. Who does that? He didn't care that everyone was looking at him wondering what in the world he was doing. It was really hilarious. I think i need to start bringing my video camera along with me for the rides so that i can record things like this.

When Mandi was here, my sister-in-law, we went to the gym to workout. One day a lady was waiting for Mandi to finish up on the weight machine. This lady stood right by Mandi waiting for her to be done and all the while this lady is dancing and singing to her music. Try to lift weights with some stranger dancing and singing right in front of you. I would be laughing, unable to finish what i started.

But this is what i love about Cleveland. People so willing to be themselves in public. It is very entertaining and makes life a bit more fun. :) Not only that, but seeing tame deer is very strange. Cleveland is definitely strange and entertaining.

2 comments:

Mandi Kay said...

HA HA! I still have a visual of that lady doing her thing while I'm trying to stay focused. :o) Ahh, it makes me miss Cleveland, it really does. You guys are definitely the main reason I miss it but I loved it there, the people, the feel of it, EVERYTHING! Miss you guys!
p.s. Ashlee!!!!!!! I freakin' LOVE your new photoshoot pictures. They look like they're straight out of a magazine!

Sherrie said...

Hey! We have a family of deer that live in our back field too! I noticed that the daddy really likes my petunias...one morning I woke up, and he was just casually strolling along my back flower bed, picking off the flowers one at a time. Now THAT is a confident deer. :) Crazy huh! Anyhow, I just told him that he was darn lucky we weren't in Idaho and that I didn't have the 22 laying around. :) (ha ha ha)